Hanoi is getting so cold these days, and as I said, winter is always the season of cookies and chocolate. Those brand new oven gloves are present from my auntie, they made me feel really excited, that’s why I decided to bake some dozens of crunchy, delicious Chocolate Wafers.
These Chocolate Wafers are wonderfully crispy, they have an appealing chocolate flavor thanks to the processed cocoa powder and store very well (up to 10-15 days in an airtight container at room temperature). Having fun making and enjoying them in this cold and windy season with your family ^^
1 cup (130 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (50 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or Dutch-processed)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (90 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
90 grams packed light brown sugar
70 grams white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large (30 grams) egg white
1. In a bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until soft and fluffy. Add the sugars and vanilla extract and beat on high speed for about one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the egg white. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
3. Place the dough on your counter and, using your hands, evenly form the dough into a log shape that is about 9 inches (23 cm) long. Carefully wrap the dough in aluminum foil, parchment paper or wax paper and fold or twist the ends. Try not to flatten the log. Refrigerate until firm. This will take several hours or you can even chill it overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Using a sharp knife, slice the log into about 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick wafers. Place the wafers on the baking sheet spacing, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Bake for approximately 10 – 12 minutes or until the the cookies puff and the tops of the cookies have cracks (ripples). Remove from oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Good luck 😉
❤ Trang Quynh