For everyone who is afraid of butter and don’t wanna gain more weight, here’s your resolution: Butterless Yogurt and Orange Cake. Instead of using hundreds grams of butter, a little amount of cooking oil is used in this recipe. Moreover, yogurt and orange juice will contribute a soft, moist and juicy texture to your cake without any additional risk to your weight. Starting a healthy life doesn’t mean stopping enjoying yummy and tasty dishes!
Ingredients (for a 8” loaf pan)
190 grams sifted plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
200 ml yogurt, room temperature
50 ml fresh orange juice
150 grams granulated white sugar
4 large eggs
3 tbs orange zest
1 tsp vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)
120 grams cooking oil
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, a 8” loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and butter or spray the paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix or whisk together the plain flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separated mixing bowl, with your hand mixer or whisk, mix the yogurt, white sugar, eggs, orange zest and vanilla powder (or vanilla extract) until combined.
4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture, mix after each addition. Pour in the cooking oil, gently mix the batter with a spatula.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you find the cake browning too much as it bakes, cover with a piece of lightly buttered aluminum foil after about 30 minutes.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a lightly buttered wire rack.
Love, Trang Quynh