Low-fat Banana Bread – a lovely quick bread which is perfect with your morning coffee or a bowl of salad for your light lunch – proves again the stunning combination between bananas and cinnamon in baked goods. What I love about this recipe is that it cuts down on the amount of saturated fat usually found in banana breads. Instead of using a quite big amount of butter (more than 100 grams), it replaces the butter with canola oil (vegetable or corn oil works too) and low-fat plain yogurt without sacrificing the flavor or texture.
1. 1 cup (240 ml) mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
2. 1 teaspoon baking soda
3. 1/2 cup (120 ml) low-fat plain yogurt
4. 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola, vegetable, or corn oil
5. 120 grams light brown sugar
6. 1 large egg or 2 large (60 grams) egg whites
7. 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8. 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
9. 1/2 cup (65 grams) whole wheat flour
10. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
11. 1 teaspoon baking powder
12. 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Spray an 8 x 4 inch (20 x 10 cm) loaf pan with a nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the baking soda and yogurt. Allow to sit while you prepare the rest of the batter.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, egg or egg whites, and vanilla.
4. In another large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt.
5. Then combine the banana mixture with the oil mixture and add to the flour mixture. Stir just until all the ingredients are moistened. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Makes 1 loaf (about 12 slices)
Hope all of you enjoy this post and feel inspired in your kitchen xoxo
Love, Trang Quynh