Today is totally my laziest day so far. I spent all day sleeping, watching TV, cooking and of course, enjoying all the dishes with my family ^^ Well, started my beautiful day with marinating the Asian pan-fried pork, then cooked a typical Vietnamese meal with a meat dish, a vegetable dish and a stew.
It started raining the early afternoon, that’s why I’m getting super excited and baked immediately the yummiest Chocolate Swirl Scone Loaf, one of my favorite Donna Hay’s recipes. Stay tuned for its recipe next week!!!
Now let’s move on to the recipes, not one, but two simple and delicious dishes:
1. 500 grams pork, cut into half-hand size
2. 3 tbs oyster sauce
3. 1 tbs white sugar
4. 1 tbs fish sauce
5. 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6. 1 red shallot, finely chopped
7. 1 1/2 tsp 5-spice powder (you can find it in any Asian store or market)
9. Vegetable oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the oyster sauce, white sugar, fish sauce, chopped garlic, red shallot, 5-spice powder and pepper until combined. Soak the pork pieces in the marinade until they’re well covered. Set aside for at least 30 minutes before pan-frying.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat, pour in 3 tbs vegetable oil. Put the pork pieces in the pan, flip and pan-fry both sides until browned and cooked through. Turn off the heat.
3. Thinly slice the pork and serve with hot rice or with Vietnamese bread (Banh Mi) and herbs.
After reading that recipe, are you hungry? But it’s not over yet because there’s one more dish waiting for you to discover. In Asian, we love stir-fried vegetables, they’re so flavorful, they’re easy to make, and they’re really… Asian xD The choices of veggies are endless: cabbage, broccoli, carrot, kohlrabi, eggplant,… You can also stir-fry them with meat, usually beef, to make your dish more nutritional.
This dish, Stir-fried Broccoli with Beef, is what I can eat alllllllllllllllllll day, yum =p~
1. 2 medium sized broccoli, cut into pieces
2. 200 grams beef, thinly sliced
3. 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4. 1 red shallot, finely chopped
6. Vegetable oil
1. In a saucepan, boil 1l of fresh water until bubbled. Put in the broccoli pieces, gently stir for 1-2 minutes, then transfer them into a colander and place the colander back on top of the saucepan to drain the excess liquid. Tip: if you want the broccoli to keep its natural color, after soft boiling, put the broccoli in an ice water bowl and let them cool down. This tip works for every kind of vegetables.
2. Heat a large frying over medium high heat, pour in vegetable oil, following by the chopped garlic, constantly stir for around 30 seconds. Put in the thinly sliced beef, season with salt, stir fry until cooked through. Transfer the beef into a plate.
3. In the same saucepan, put in the chopped red shallot, constantly stir until lightly browned, then put in the broccoli. Season with salt of fish sauce, keep stirring until the broccoli are well cooked. Mix in the stir-fried beef and stir-fry together with the broccoli for 2 more minutes. Serve.
Love, Trang Quynh