As you know, Donna Hay is named the dessert queen, she’s famous not only for the best-selling cookbooks and TV series, but also for her amazing desserts’ recipes. This Chocolate Swirl Scone Loaf is my one of my favorite Donna’s recipes, thanks to its simplicity, from the ingredients (chocolate, butter, flour…) to the method (no electric mixer or hand mixer, no spatula, short preparation time…), and also its lovely flavor ^^
This time, my Chocolate Swirl Scone Loaf doesn’t have the chocolate swirls because instead of chopping the chocolate carefully by myself, I turned the preparation time into the play time with my little cousins, let them crack the chocolate bars into chunks XD That’s why my loaf looks a little bit… messy inside, but it still tastes delicious. So the tip is: finely chop the chocolate and sprinkle them evenly on the dough to make the beautiful swirls inside the scone loaf 😉
Are you ready for the super short recipe?
1. 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour, sifted (in case you don’t have self-rising flour, it can be made by plain flour, baking powder and salt)
2. 1/4 cup (55 grams) caster sugar
3. 40 grams cold butter, chopped
4. 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk, plus extra, for brushing
5. 100 grams dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (355 degrees F). Place the flour and caster sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Use a butter knife to gradually mix the milk into the flour mixture until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring the dough together. Roll out to a 18cm x 24cm rectangle.
3. Sprinkle with the chocolate and roll up to enclose. Place in a 19cm x 9cm loaf tin lined with baking paper. Brush with extra milk and bake for 25–30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out on to a wire rack to cool. Slice to serve. Serves 6–8.
Thank you for reading this post, if you have any questions, please posts them in the comment section below, I’d love to hear from you and also see the pictures of your Chocolate Swirl Scone Loaf ❤
See you guys in the next post,
Love, Trang Quynh