When you think about summer, you may think that desserts with chocolate will be a little bit too heavy. In the hottest season of the year, of course, even though chocolate cake, brownies, chocolate ganache or chocolate chip cookies are delicious but they’re definitely not the best choice. Everyone will fall for fruits, like watermelon, juicy oranges, mouth-watering berries or something cold and give you brain freezes, like ice-cream, fruit juice and yogurt. So why don’t we combine them, chocolate, our favorite ingredient for desserts, and food that keep you cool in the summer?
Since yogurt is a common ingredient in baking and it’s one of the top 5 foods to eat this summer, these Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes will be a great dessert that can balance the heavy flavor of chocolate and blow you away. This time, instead of using plain flour mixing with salt and baking powder, I gave self-rising flour a try. And the result was more than I expected, the cupcakes kept rising and rising, so sorry about the photos and the… huge cupcakes 😦 Anyway, they taste absolutely amazing and got the most beautiful texture everrrrrr. After all, my lesson is, be careful with the super power of self-rising flour!
Now, let’s get your spatula ready:
1. 200 grams plain flour
2. 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3. 200 grams bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4. 200 grams granulated white sugar
5. 125 ml plain yogurt
6. 3 large eggs
7. 125 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
8. 1 tsp vanilla extract
9. 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
10. 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or lightly butter the pan.
2. In a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, melt the chocolate with 1/4 cup of the oil. Once melted and smooth, remove from the heat. (Alternately, you can do this in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, then in 15 second increments, stirring well between each until smooth.)
3. Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup oil with yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla and almond extracts.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt (this time I used about 210 grams self-rising flour). Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yogurt mixture. Stir lightly a couple times, then add the melted chocolate and stir until just smooth.
5. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they feel barely set in the middle and a tester or toothpick comes out clean.
6. Serve with coffee, whipped cream and berries.
Hope you like my post and will remake these lovely Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes at home, most importantly, enjoy your kitchen time.
Have a nice day,
Love, Trang Quynh