Chocolate cake is definitely loved by everyone. I guess no one can resist the lovely smell of cocoa and the light sweetness of chocolate in every single cake slice =p~ Besides, it’s one of the basic sweets’ recipes and easy to match with a variety of frosting. From chocolate ganache, whipped cream… to cream cheese frosting, it’s even still good without frosting ^^
What I love about this recipe of Donna Hay is the simplicity of the method, as it says the “Easy chocolate cake”, but assures the perfect quality of the texture and flavor. My chocolate cake is really soft, airy, a little bit runny inside, that’s why when I tried to take it off the cake pan impatiently, it cracks on top :”> My family and friends enjoyed it and said that was the best cake I’ve made so far!Here’s the recipe in details, as usual, I reduced 1/3 the sugar amount from the original recipe on donnahay.com. Hope all of you will enjoy it xoxo
1. 250 grams butter, cubed
2. 160 grams granulated white sugar (235 grams in the original recipe)
3. 3 large eggs
4. 2 cups (300 grams) plain flour (this time I used 300 grams self-rising flour)
5. 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (skip it if you use self-rising flour)
6. 1/3 cup (35 grams) cocoa powder
7. 1 cup (250 ml sour cream), can be replaced by yogurt
8. 250 grams dark chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Grease a 22cm cake tin.
2. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Add the eggs and beat well.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa over the butter mixture, add the sour cream and chocolate, and mix until just combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 55 minutes–1 hour or until just set. Cool in the tin.
Love, Trang Quynh