Stir-fried Sliced Potatoes with Beef and Tomatoes is a simple Vietnamese that totally suits for cold and cozy days, when you’re too lazy to make complicated dishes but still want a delicious and warm home-cooked meal. Lyon’s getting colder and colder everyday, I guess winter’s coming soon, so why don’t I deserve the taste from home? These days, I kinda like homesick, because the Lyon’s atmosphere in autumn, the empty streets, the cozy feeling… they all remind me of my little beautiful city in Vietnam. I truly miss my family, miss the yummy home-cooked meals made by my grandma, my mom and aunt, miss the laughter and all the random things we talked in dinner. But this period will be end really soon, when I have to continue revising the stuff for final exams this semester, well, may I say studying first, homesick later?
Okay, that’s just some of my emotions recently, thank you for patiently reading, now let’s get back to our usual thing, cooking ^^ I’m pretty sure everyone’s gonna love this dish, not just because it’s easy to make, but it’s super delicious, especially serving with hot rice (yum, I’ll be starving soon because of this post). So in case you’re still wondering what to cook this dinner, maybe this will be a great suggestion for you, believe me 😉
Ingredients (serves: 6)
1. 250 grams beef, slice into long and thin pieces
2. 10 medium potatoes, peeled and washed
3. 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
4. 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
5. 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
6. Salt, pepper
7. 3 tbs vegetable oil
1. Thinly slice the potatoes to have round and super thin pieces. Soak them in fresh water and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over high heat. Put in 1 tbs vegetable oil, following by chopped garlic. Quickly stir until the garlic turns lightly brown. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper, constantly stir the beef on high heat for 2-3 minutes (tip: don’t let the beef to be cooked through, leave it still a little pink and juicy). Turn off the heat.
3. Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Put in the remaining oil and chopped onion, stir until the onion turns lightly brown. Add the chopped tomatoes, season with salt, constantly stir until they’re soft.
Add the sliced potatoes in the pan, season if needed with salt and pepper. Stir for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes and soft and cooked through. Return the beef and its juice into the pan, gently mix in 1-2 minutes and turn off the heat.
Serve hot on a bed of rice. See, I told you the dish’s super easy to do, you can even make it while doing other stuff (I don’t know if you have the same habit, but I always do multiple things while cooking, I love making myself busy xD)
Hope you will enjoy this dish just like I did last night,
Hundreds kisses and hugs from Lyon,
Love, Trang Quynh
Vietnamese version: http://tastefromhome.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/khoai-tay-xao-thit-bo-va-ca-chua/