As I always said, nothing is easier than changing ingredients for your fried rice. Today with some Asian-inspired ones (soy sauce, Asian sausages, kimchi…), tomorrow with Western-style ones (butter, pickled cucumbers, carrots, chick peas…) or just combine everything that you want or you have left in your fridge. No kidding, fried rice is always a great choice when you have many things left in the fridge but nothing is enough to make a whole meal, 30 minutes cutting, slicing, mixing, cooking, and you will end up with a big bowl of warm, delicious and flavorful fried rice that everyone would die for (no, not exactly haha). At least, that’s much better than making a huge mess in your kitchen to make a dozen of dishes with one or two ingredients for each, right?
The only tip is don’t use too many ingredients, 4-5 may be great, but 10 ingredients are insane !!! Anyway, my fried rice today is more like Western style, with the ingredients that most of you will have in your fridge (I guess): ham, pickled cucumbers, carrots… So I hope you will like it and remake it at home, leave some comments or opinions, or feedback, okay, just enjoy it ^^
Ingredients (serves: 4)
White rice, cooked (about 1 1/2 cup uncooked rice). You can both use leftover rice or cook rice a little bit drier than usual and let it cool down to room temperature
2 large eggs
3 medium carrots, peeled, washed and cubed (as seen on the picture above)
10-12 pickled cucumbers, sliced into 0.5-cm-thick pieces
1/2 of an onion, chopped
300-350 grams ham, sliced into small pieces with the same size as carrots and cucumbers
60 grams unsalted butter
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the rice with 2 eggs. Using a wooden spoon or chopsticks, well separate the rice so it will be covered entirely in eggs and won’t stick together.
2. Heat a large frying pan (or you can use a large non-stick pot like me) over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the carrots and onion, constantly stir until both ingredients are cooked and the onion turns transparent.
3. Gently mix in the rice, using a wooden spoon to combine together all the ingredients for 12-15 minutes, or until the rice are dry and the egg “coat” is cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the ham, continue stirring and mixing so all the ingredients are perfectly combined. Every spoon should be evenly seasoned and of course, have all ingredients in it, you don’t want a mouthful of ham, and after that a spoon filled with carrots and pickled cucumbers, trust me, that’s truly annoying ^^
5. And finally, pickled cucumbers, repeat the same step: stirring, mixing, combining for a couple minutes then turn off the heat and serve.
And we are done xD
Good luck and bon appetit everyone,
Love, Trang Quynh