It’s been quite a long time since the last time I used chicken legs in my recipes. As I said before, we usually go to the supermarket once a week to buy all the vegetables, meat and other stuff (well, that changed in the vacation, when we had more free time and I wanted to realize a bunch of recipes that I saved for a while but didn’t have chance to do), that’s part of the reason why we choose chicken breasts all the time. They’re easy to use, you can slice and stir-fry them with bell peppers (you can click here for the recipe), or make a pot of chicken curry…, besides they’re simple to cut, slice or whatever you want to do, dealing with bones sometimes can drive you crazy (or it drives me crazy :)) ). And if you’re curious about this, then no, eating chicken breasts because of their healthiness is definitely not the reason, I always love chicken legs, thighs and wings haha
Anyway, this Curried Chicken Legs with Peas is pretty easy to do, after reading a dozen of recipes on the Internet, I came up with the idea of making it in my way, with the ingredients I have in the fridge and a little bit of craziness. Phewww, fortunately the dish didn’t turn out to a mess and more luckily, it tastes great 😉 I hope you enjoy the post, and if you don’t have enough ingredients, don’t be afraid to be creative and replace with the ingredients you think suitable ^^
Ingredients (serves: 3-4)
6 chicken legs
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tbs curry powder
6 tbs all-purpose flour
400 ml milk
500 ml fresh water
250 grams frozen peas
2 tbs lemon juice
5 tbs mayonnaise
50 grams unsalted butter
1. Heat 1 tbs of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp salt. Add the chicken legs to the pan and cook until browned and just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes total. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat a pot over medium high heat, melt the butter and add the chopped onion and garlic, constantly stir until softened and light brown in about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add curry powder, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt; cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat.
4. Pour in the fresh water and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until a little bit thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in peas, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
5. Put the chicken legs in the pot, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to minimum, simmer for 30-40 minutes until the chicken are tender and the peas are soft. Turn off the heat and serve hot.
Good luck everyone,
Love, Trang Quynh