I’m pretty sure that every cook or every person who loves cooking like me always has a favorite recipe for the Old time Beef Stew with Vegetables. Some changes, substitutions, transformations…, maybe our recipes are a little bit different, but in common, we all love this beautiful and flavorful beef stew. Who doesn’t love a windy winter day, sitting around the table, having dinner with family and enjoying a full bowl of hot beef stew with bread or a bed of rice?
So today, I wanna share with all of you how I make my basic beef stew, I hope you guys enjoy the post and it’d be even better if you will let me know how you make it, in your way, with your creativity and talent 😉 I’m really looking forward to seeing different ways to make this stunning stew and also your opinions about mine ^^
Ingredients (serves: 4)
400 grams stew beef or chuck roast, cubed
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 medium carrots, peeled and cubed
1 onion, thinly sliced
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
2 tbs ketchup
1l fresh water
150 grams frozen peas
60 grams unsalted butter
5 tbs all-purpose flour
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Lightly coat the beef with the flour mixture. Heat a frying pan over medium high heat, melt half of the butter and brown the meat all sides. Transfer meat to a bowl and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat a pot over medium high heat, melt the remaining butter and add the onions and garlic, constantly stir until the onions are soft, translucent and the garlic turns lightly brown.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, continue stirring for 8-10 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and easy to smash. Add the ketchup, gently stir until combined.
4. Pour in the water, return the beef to the pot, bring to a boil then reduce the heat, simmer for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot, continue simmering in another 20 minutes.
6. Finally, add the frozen peas, simmer for 1-1,5 hours until the beef are tender and the vegetables are soft, the soup should be thickened by now. Turn off the heat and serve.
Love, Trang Quynh