Story time... So these yummylicious Grilled Pork Skewers came to my mind one winter day, I came visit my boyfriend in Grenoble and since he couldn’t stay at home with me all day (I had some days off and he didn’t ^^), I got left at home and had so much time to kill and voila, here comes my idea (at least they’re still better than laying on the couch all day watching series, no?). That night, some of his friends stopped over for dinner, I served these Pork Skewers along with a hugeee pot of Coconut Chicken Curry, fresh salad with French baguettes, they all enjoyed the meal and especially complimented the skewers, so that’s supposed to mean that they are quite good, isn’t it :))
Anw, these Grilled Pork Skewers will be a great choice for your barbecue party or just any kind of party, a little bit time-consuming to make but trust me, it will worth it, and have some friends helping you then it won’t be anymore a big deal 😉
INGREDIENT LIST (for 10 skewers)
600g pork shoulder meat
2 red shallots
3-4 cloves of garlic
4 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs honey/sugar
2 tbs lemon juice/ lime juice/ vinegar
1 tbs Sriracha (optional)
Black pepper, vegetable oil
Vegetables of your choice
1. Preparation: slice the pork meat into long and thin strips, finely chop the red shallots and mince the garlic. Soak the wooden skewers in fresh water for at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent them from burning. Wash, peel and cut the vegetables of your choice into 2x2cm pieces.
2. In a large bowl or tray, marinade pork with shallots, garlic, oyster sauce, honey, lemon juice, Sriracha, sprinkle with a little bit black pepper and add about 1/2 tbs vegetable oil to moisten the meat. Marinade for 2-3 hours before grilling, or leave it overnight in the fridge for a much better flavor.
3. When pork and vegetables are ready, alternately skew them onto the wooden skewers (tip: don’t skew them too tight otherwise the pork will take longer to be cooked through and easier to get dry on the outside). For the leftover vegetables, you can mix them with the pork marinade and make some vegetable skewers, they will be incredibly sweet after being grilled.
4. To grill the skewers, you can either use charcoal stove or grilling pan, for me, this time I’m using my stove (220 degrees C in 22-25 minutes for the pork skewers, 10-12 minutes for the vegetable ones), brush honey and pork marinade on the skewers during grilling will give them an even more beautiful and golden brown color.
5. Serve with baguettes, steamed white rice or a side of freshly green salad.
Good luck with this recipes and I hope you will have fun making these intriguing and tasty Grilled Pork Skewers,
Have a marvelous day and I will see you in my next post,
Trang Quynh xoxo