Welcome back to my food blog! Today I bring you my newest dish, a tasty traditional Vietnamese dish: Braised Duck with Coconut Milk ❤ In Western cuisine, duck is an usual ingredient, but we always use duck breast, or the whole duck to grill or pan-fry. Besides, coconut milk is used in many curry recipes (especially Chicken Curry ^^), it contributes a beautiful, soft and sweet flavor to the dish. In Vietnamese cuisine, we also use coconut milk, but not for curry, it’s for chicken or duck, and the most popular way to make the dishes with coconut milk is braising chicken/duck.
The method is quite easy:
1. After cutting the duck into small pieces (but not too small), you mix them with chopped red shallots, a little bit ginger and fish sauce, set aside for 45-60 mins.
2. Heat a large pan over medium high heat, pan-fry quickly the duck pieces until the skin is lightly browned. You don’t have to add any kind of oil because the duck fat will come out after 1-2 mins and the duck pieces can’t be burned.
3. Remove the duck from the pan, put the pieces in another pan. Add coconut milk, bring it to a boil then reduce the heat, simmer until the coconut milk can go through these pieces and the broth turns golden. Add black pepper.
4. Serve with coriander and small pieces of coconut (optional)
Good luck on this dish 😀
– From Trang Quynh with love –