Another mouth-watering snack to make your day more interesting!!!!! Seafood are always the top choice for almost restaurants (especially pizza and pasta restaurant) to create the appetizers in the menu. You can see the calamari (fried squid with breadcrumbs) in the menu of Pizza Hut or Al Fresco, honestly, it’s my favorite dish because I love the crunchiness of the coat. Who can deny a stunning appetizer like that, right?
Today, inspired by the amazing starters, this beautiful dish was made. The prawns were seasoned first with salt, pepper, ground oregano and basil powder. Then they were coated by 3 layers: plain flour, beaten eggs and finally the breadcrumbs mixture. As usual, I prefer to mix breadcrumbs with finely chopped parsley and grated cheddar cheese. When you fried the prawns in the high heat pan, you can see the cheese melting and create a stunning lightly brown coat. If they are well coated, you can easily remove the crunchy coat by using a fork, it won’t be sticky, that’s how we make the fried prawns in breadcrumbs mixture ^^
But my favorite part is the spicy mayonnaise sauce. You always enjoy your fried food with chili sauce, ketchup or tartar sauce, why don’t you like me, try another sauce? Spicy mayonnaise sauce is a good idea and worth to try once. Soooo easy: mix the chili sauce with mayonnaise, I like to mix 1 tablespoon chili sauce with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, but feel free to change the amount. If you are spicy lover, increase the amount of chili sauce, if you are egg lover, reduce it. Mmmmm, I’m sure that you won’t regret about that trial.
Ingredients (serves: 6-8)
1. 1 kg tiger prawns, peeled
2. 1 tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
3. 1 tsp ground oregano
4. 1 tsp basil powder
5. 70-80g breadcrumbs
6. 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
7. 1/3 cup plain flour
8. 2 beaten eggs
9. Salt, pepper, oil
10. 1 tbsp chili sauce, 1 tbsp mayonnaise for the sauce
The fried prawns:
1. Season the prawns with salt, pepper, oregano and basil powder. Set aside for 15-20 mins
2. Place the breadcrumbs, chopped flat leaf parsley and grated cheddar cheese in a bowl, mix well to combine. Place the flour onto a plate and the beaten eggs in a separate bowl.
3. Dip the prawns, one prawn at a time, into the flour. Shake off excess. Dip into eggs then coat with breadcrumbs mixture, pressing crumbs on firmly with your fingers.
4. Pour oil into a sauce pan. Heat it over medium-high heat. Deep-fry the prawns for 2-3 mins. Remove, drain and keep warm.
The spicy mayonnaise sauce:
Mix 1 tbsp chili sauce and 1 tbsp mayonnaise until combined.
Serve tip: Serve the prawn with grated cheddar cheese (or parmesan cheese) and the spicy mayonnaise sauce. Decorate with some flat leaf parsley.
Hope all of you will have fun making this beautiful snack. Enjoy xoxo